… If you are a startup, the chances are you would have met a lot of VCs for funding. I am penning down few random pointers what I happened to learn.
- So, your company is losing people? Attrition? If a minimum 1/3rd of the team leave. 2/3rd run the ship to the ground. #startups
- Co-founder splits are the #1 reasons why many businesses have failed. Don’t expect to pay a co-founder like a friend. If you need an exit. You need follow-on funding.
- Customer Acquisition: Getting them on-board is hard. Most biggest competitors are already burning as I write. Approx 1700 INR for an Andriod App install. Any startups need to burn a lot. What matters is repeat customers!
- Company Act dictates — LLPs, Properitorship firms can’t get funded. If you are a OPC (One Person Company), #1 the chances of getting funded are bleak, #2 its pointless to get VC money as well.
- If there is an Anti-Dilution Clause — Say No! #Equity
- It is way better to work as a 3 member team. Governance, Operations, Finance. The key here is delegation. And, do it like a team.
- Figure out how you’re shaping yourselves. Are you a service provider or product company? Why does this matter? Valuation. Usually, during the times you approcah for a funding, product companies are valued at 10x. And, service providers at 1x.
- Usually VCs don’t like portfolio managers. So, work on one product and pitch that one great product. Many ESS get easy funding. But their Angels get a good bite on their equity. AP can provide, 10–15L for an equity of 10%.
- An average VC expects 5x-10x returns on the profits. His pool of money is 40% from HNIs. An average PE expects 2x-3x returns on his profits. 95% of this funds are soverign.
- VCs do not do DIVIDENDS. Most today opt for debt funds. First get funding from friends and family. Next try banks. Next VC/PE. And, “debt funds” come here, exactly between this stage.
- Thinking about loans? There are very few schemes. AIM — 5 to 25L — In my best guess, probably they offer space, and money. For do-good society welfare startups — SANKALP, UNLTD. DIT/DISR, MIT, TDB — Large social loans — Upto 25L — Have 250 crores — 2 to 3% interest rates.
- TePP: Govt grants to product startups, which show products can be physically displayed. 1st phase — 25L for prototyping. 40L for commercializing. 1 crores for Marketing.
- Highly recommend to setup an Advisory Board. Ask why are you the person? Ask is there are better way we can scale?
- Most of the Angels like proximity. Say if a LP has $120M. He may have 12–13 soverign funds. He deputes each of them to VCs.
- If you’re not in the first page of Google, you are busted. You need ADwords. There is no point we can sustain a startup without Marketing. A few years back, you would need $125 per customer on an average for SaaS. Now, it takes $700.
- VC is an alternate customer acquisition channel. What a VC expects? Who is the biggest offline player? How well are you disrupting him?
- Got VC money? Now what? You have 18 months time to show 10x returns. And, if you are not achieving that in 12 months, you’re really unsustainable.
Keep reading, and don’t forget to subscribe our newsletter, we are penning down so meticulously from every nook and corner of the Internet. Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox.
Thanks for reading!